Here is where I rank it amongst other films by that particular studio . . .
- Kung Fu Panda (2008): So creative and so hilarious.
- How To Train Your Dragon (2010): The ending is second in sentimentality only to classics such as Toy Story and Up. One can only hope that the sequel will stay true to the original.
- The Prince of Egypt (1998): They did the epic story justice – especially for the era.
- Shrek (2001): So overrated. Not even close to Monsters Inc. (which it shockingly stomped at the box office).
- Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011): Their best sequel. A great story. Honestly, I can’t wait for the third installment.
- Megamind (2010): A great year for the studio. Great jokes (though I don’t really want my three year old listening to ACDC?).
- Madagascar 2 (2008): A pattern for DreamWorks. Releasing an excellent original (KFP) and an entertaining sequel in the same year. I didn’t care for the first zoo drama – but this one a much lighter tone.
- The Croods (2013): Best action sequences I have seen a long time (as far as computer animation goes). Colorful. Playful. But predictable. We have been in this world before (can anyone say Ice Age). I do appreciate how the film attempts to address the tension between tradition and innovation. However, I am a firm believer that before a fence is taken down, we need to first know what is on the other side (but with that, the fence must more often than not still come down).
- Turbo (2013): Bugs Life meets Cars. Spectacular animation. Subpar story. Lesson learned: gangster rappers grow up to star in children’s movies.
- Madagascar (2005): Talented cast. The same cannot be said of the script. I guess it could have been worse (what was Walt Disney exactly thinking with The Wild?).
So with that, Over the Edge is officially out of my top ten.