One of the items on my bucket list is to read at least one biography on each U.S. President. I began this journey back in 2003 when I stumbled upon the fine works of David McCullough.
After at least a five year hiatus, I returned to this goal by listening to John Milton Cooper Jr.’s Woodrow Wilson: A Biography. A fine and complete work. A few highlights about Wilson…
- Only American President to also be a president of an Ivy League University (truly a scholar and practitioner)
- Bitter rival to the popular Theodore Roosevelt
- President during the First World War
- Failed attempt at creating (and joining) the Legion of Nations (the precursor to the United Nations)
- Suffered a stroke during office (and really was not fully engaged or available during the last 1/5 years of his second term)