You would be hard-pressed to find a more thoughtful writer or masterful storyteller than Jodi Detrick. Always quick to defer attention to others and even quicker to encourage emerging leadership.
Though I confess that I am probably not the primary audience of her book titled The Jesus-Hearted Woman, I still enjoyed it immensely. To be honest, I read at least two to three books a year that are targeted to women (in leadership). I wholeheartedly believe that every Christ-follower is to be a minister . . . one reason why our leadership teams at Blue Bridge Church are diverse in gender. With that in mind, I must grow regularly in the way that I communicate to and with women. Resources such as this remind me that we share similar struggles as well as differ in perspectives and gifts.
My favorite chapter dealt with the “ten reasons behind humility”…
- Quality God loves and is looking for
- Puts others at ease
- Makes more like Jesus
- Lets you be a part of his secret work
- Allows us to repair broken relationships
- Allows us to ask for help
- Is a crucial part of enjoying healthy relationships
- Gives us a new perspective
- Helps you find greatness in unexpected places
- Protects us from crashing
- How do you feel when you’re around a prideful person? What can you do, especially as a leader, to put others at ease?
- Think about the statement “you could always go lower.” What might “lower” look like in your current setting or life circumstance?